Reports & Publications
CalEnviroScreen is a screening methodology that can be used to help identify California communities that are disproportionately burdened by multiple sources of pollution. This version updates CalEnviroScreen in a variety of ways.
CalEPA has used CalEnviroScreen 3.0 to designate disadvantaged communities pursuant to Senate Bill 535 in April 2017.
All materials related to CalEnviroScreen 3.0 are available here.
A report to the Legislature on actions taken to account for pollution burdens in the California-Mexico border region for CalEnviroScreen 3.0 pursuant to to Assembly Bill 1059 is available here.
CalEnviroScreen 2.0 was updated in October 2014 to include additional data along the US-Mexico border. Information on the update is described in the Summary of Major Changes and in the SB 535 Response to Public Comments.
CalEnviroScreen is a screening methodology that can be used to help identify California communities that are disproportionately burdened by multiple sources of pollution.CalEPA has used the tool to designate California communities as disadvantaged pursuant to Senate Bill 535.
- CalEnviroScreen 2.0 Report (updated October 2014)
- CalEnviroScreen 2.0 Summary of Major Changes
- CalEnviroScreen 2.0 Response to Public Comments
- Analysis of CalEnviroScreen 2.0 Scores and Race/Ethnicity
All materials related to CalEnviroScreen 2.0 are available here.
Cumulative Impacts: Building a Scientific Foundation Report
In 2010 CalEPA and OEHHA released the report “Cumulative Impacts: Building a Scientific Foundation.” This report presents the first step in developing a screening methodology to evaluate the cumulative impacts of multiple sources of pollution in specific communities or geographic areas.
Environmental Justice Program Update: A report to the Governor and the Legislature on actions taken to implement Public Resources Code Sections 71110-71116.
Publications on CalEnviroScreen
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Cumulative Environmental Health Impacts in California: Evidence From a Statewide Environmental Justice Screening Tool (CalEnviroScreen 1.1)
Lara Cushing, MPH, MA, John Faust, PhD, Laura Meehan August, MPH, Rose Cendak, MS, Walker Wieland, BA, and George Alexeeff, PhD
American Journal of Public Health, November 2015
- CalEnviroScreen: A Pathway to Address Environmental Justice Issues in California
George V. Alexeeff and Arsenio Y. Mataka
EM Magazine, January 2014
- Methodological Considerations in Screening for Cumulative Environmental Health Impacts: Lessons Learned from a Pilot Study in California
Laura Meehan August, John B. Faust , Lara Cushing , Lauren Zeise and George V. Alexeeff International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, August 2012
- A Screening Method for Assessing Cumulative Impacts
George V. Alexeeff, John B. Faust, Laura Meehan August, Carmen Milanes, Karen Randles, Lauren Zeise and Joan Denton
International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, February 2012