Pesticides - Services Available from OEHHA

Support, help, guidance available

Services Available from OEHHA

Information for the general public

OEHHA is primarily a public health agency with responsibilities to state and county public health programs. OEHHA also provides limited technical assistance on public health issues and concerns to the general public. You can contact us at or (916) 324-2829.

Other sources of information for the general public are also availabe:

  1. The National Pesticide Information Center is funded by U.S. EPA and provides information on pesticide toxicity, health effects, residue data, efficacy, etc. Specific information is available on pesticides such as herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, and rodenticides.

    National Pesticide Information Center
    Oregon State University
    333 Weniger Hall
    Corvallis, OR 97331-6502
    Hours: 6:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. 7 days a week (Pacific Time)
    Telephone (toll-free, 24-hours): (800) 858-7378
    Fax: (541) 737-0761
    Web site: National Pesticide Information Center

  2. The Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR) is California’s lead agency for regulating pesticide use. DPR publishes several fact sheets on pesticide safety.


To report improper pesticide use, or ask questions about pesticide use in your area, contact your County Agricultural Commissioner’s office, or call toll-free, 1-87PestLine (1-877-378-5463), for directory assistance. County Agricultural Commissioner contacts can also be found here.

Information for Counties and other Government Agencies

  1. Pesticide Illness Investigations: OEHHA is responsible for assisting local and county health officers in conducting epidemiological (health based) investigations of pesticide illness outbreaks. County health officers may conduct epidemiological studies of pesticide illness to supplement those of the county agricultural commissioners. If the pesticide illness is determined to be an outbreak, the county health officer may request OEHHA’s assistance in the investigation. 


  1. Pesticide Illness Reporting: Physicians are required to report pesticide known or suspected illnesses to their local health officer within 24 hours. Completed Pesticide Illness Report forms must be reported by local officers to the Department of Pesticide Regulation and OEHHA, and for occupational cases, to the Department of Industrial Relations.


You can contact OEHHA for pesticides related issues at or (916) 324-2829.

Information for Health Care Providers

OEHHA offers free training classes for physicians, nurses, and other health care providers. Continuing Medical Education credits may be awarded to physicians and nurses who take in these courses. Online courses are available both in English and Spanish. In-person courses are available in English. OEHHA offers training on:

  1. Recognition, Management, and Reporting of Pesticide Illness.
  2. California Medical Supervision Program. Cholinesterase monitoring of agricultural pesticide mixer/loader/applicators who regularly handle toxicity Category I and II organophosphate or n-methyl carbamate pesticides.

If interested in the in person presentations, please contact OEHHA to set up a time when you would like to have either of the presentations scheduled.

The U.S. EPA offers an excellent handbook on pesticides and pesticide illness entitled: Recognition and Management of Pesticide Poisonings (2013). The book can be downloaded (PDF) and paper copies can be ordered for free. Ordering information can be found on EPA's Office of Pesticide Programs Website.